Monday, April 1, 2013

I Can't "Handel" It!

(In case you didn't get the pun in the title, Handel is a famous composer who was famous for his operas and other compositions).
Over spring break, I practiced SOOO much! In fact, my brother said, and I quote, "Arielle, stop playing that stupid song! You've played it a million times! Can't you play something else?" And the answer is no, I can't really play anything else. I have focused only on Fur Elise. I can sight read some popular songs, like from Les Mis or Wicked or some Green Day songs, but that's because I already know how they are supposed to sound, and I do not play the piano accompaniment lines, I play the singing parts (mostly because they are only one note at a time and they are relatively easy to play...). It is cool, though, because I can sight read the notes and know where they are on the piano. Despite the progress I seemed to be making, I do not think I have become that good. I still cannot play with my left hand. The good news is, the right hand (the hand I can play with) usually has the melody of the songs, while the left hand (the hand I can't play with) usually has harmony for the songs. This is the case for Fur Elise (my end product) so it is not so bad that I do not know how to play with my left hand. The song is still identifiable if you were to hear me play it (and if you know the song...). I have been working a lot on that song but despite my efforts, I cannot play with my left hand! It really doesn't make sense, because I play with my left hand for viola, so it shouldn't be that different! I just can't "handel" it!!!

Since I am so close to my TED Talk, I have not done much more research on pianos. Instead, I have focused on practicing. And practicing. And practicing. Also, I cannot think of much more information I could obtain that would affect my playing of the piece, or my playing of my piano in general. No questions have come up during my practicing that have sparked some interesting research (which is what has happened for my past research).

1 comment:

  1. HAHA YOUR TITLE IS REALLY WITTY!! It's good you've been practicing a lot because it better be perfect. JusT kIdDdinG! I'm sure you'll do awesome. And don't worry young one, the right hand-left hand coordination will come with (even more) practice. Keep up the good work!! (I'm being serious you're awesome you've spent so much time on this :)))))))

    ReplyDelete