Monday, March 18, 2013

Back to the Bass-ics

This week I started learning how to play Fur Elise. So far my right hand is pretty good, and my left hand is okay if I think about it hard enough, but when played together, that is a DISASTER! Fur Elise is German for "for Elise". I, as the musician, would assume that this piece, most likely a love song, should be played sweetly, gently, beautifully, maybe even played with the right notes... At the moment, however, my playing of Fur Elise would scare away whomever I am playing it for instead of portray my love.
 I was curious about the true meaning, purpose, etc., of the song, so, like all curious young thinkers should do, I did some research! I learned that there are many theories as to whom the Elise is for whom the piece is written. Some researchers believe that Elise was really Therese Malfatti, a woman with whom Beethoven (the composer of Fur Elise) was in love. Beethoven supposedly proposed to this woman, but was rejected. In that case, my version of playing this song (very badly, if you didn't catch that earlier) is probably not that different from how Beethoven imagined it being played due to how he was feeling at the time it was written...Other researchers believe that the song is written for Elisabeth Röckel, an famous opera singer. The two musicians are documented to have met and become good friends a few years before Fur Elise was written. It is also documented that  Elisabeth Röckel went by Elise, which matches the title of the piece For Elise. Finally, even more researchers think that Elise was used as a general term for sweetheart during Beethoven's time period, and that the song was just written for a random, unspecific love in Beethoven's life.
When I started playing this song, I was surprised at both how good I was and how bad I was. I thought I was pretty good because I could read the music, and pretty much sight read the song (it might help that I already know how the song goes but...). I thought I was pretty bad because my playing of this song was absolutely terrible! Just to put this into comparison, I would probably have rotten fruits and vegetables thrown at my head if I performed this piece anywhere! However, I am overall happy with my progress, especially my leap from playing silly childish songs to playing this "real song"!
When I started learning Fur Elise, I had to learn new notes that weren't in the childish songs I played before. I also had to relearn  where my fingers go for each note for this specific song. Even though it is boring and tedious to go through these same aspects again, I think it will really pay off and help improve my playing in the future! I can't wait to keep practicing, and have a beautiful performance of Fur Elise ready for my TED Talk!
Sources:
Fur Elise." Fur Elise (For Elise). N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2013. <http://www.forelise.com/about>.

6 comments:

  1. Wow you're making really good progress! Fur Elise is a favorite of mine, and I'm glad that you took the time to research the history of what you're playing. I think this actually greatly helps because you can better connect to the emotions the composer might have been feeling at that time when he was writing it. Combining hands is a pain, and even after playing for many years I still have to remind myself not to rush to put both hands together because I'll probably miss a lot of notes and dynamics. I think if you combine both hands and just take it slow, you'll have people throwing roses at you in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the real song! Even though you might not attract people right now with your piano skills, you might attract somebody with a lack (maybe, a piano teacher or teen prodigy looking for love (HOW CUTE WOULD THAT BE!!)). I think it's a good idea that you researched the meaning(s) behind Fur Elise, and translated it's name. You should put up an audio or video of you playing the song since it's stuck in my head now and some people may not have the song associated with the name. Also, nice title. Bass-ics. That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you're moving onto real songs! It must have been pretty exciting to start playing Fur Elise and actually know what you're doing. And I love that you keep researching things and talking about them in your blog posts. I learn something new every time, and it shows that you have a passion for this beyond just the instrument itself, but also the history. I hope you'll be able to play this song for everyone at the TED Talk if you're ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice title. Very punny. I like the song choice too. It is the most "piano-y" song I can think of if that makes sense haha. I can't wait to hear it during your TED talk! Keep practicing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like your progressing nicely, Arielle! From not knowing how to play the piano to playing a Beethoven song seems to me like you learned something! I admire the fact that you are not only learning how to play the paino, but taking it a step further and researching about the history of the song! Good luck and can't wait to hear it when it's done!

    ReplyDelete